Thursday, March 8, 2007

AA 1 - week 1 - Facilities introduction

As I understand, I missed the facilities introduction but working on to catch up. Also, from the blogs, I understand you spoke about basics of sound and I know a bit about this topic. Sound waves are compressions and rarefractions that travel around 230 meters per second, if I remember right, and that’s in air. If you think this is hard to understand, think again and you will all see it pretty easy to understand the logic of soundwaves as vibrations in air particles. On top of this, a sound source are needed that gives away frequencies in different amplitudes and this can be a whole range of things from nature to inventions such as oscillators. What are a bit trickier are the cycle of the sound wave and I highly recommend those not familiar to this to read a bit about phase and problems that can occur. When you understand phase problems, you will not only be able to record material with good mono compatibility but also be able to use it as an effect like for example mono/stereo microphone setups. So, sound basics are not rocket science but the behaviours of them can sometimes be very problematic and that is one of the reasons why I am here in this course.

No comments: